Standing around a baggage carousel at an airport while trying to pick out your suitcase from all the similar looking suitcases can be one of the more stressful aspects of travelling. This is why painting suitcases can give your luggage a more unique look. Not only will your luggage be easy to spot, but it will stand out from the rest of the suitcases circling around the carousel.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Cup of water
- Painter's tape
Gather together the suitcase(s) you wish to paint, along with the other supplies. These can include: a rag or towel, water (for cleaning the luggage and the paintbrushes), painter's tape, primer or sealer, paint and a paintbrush. Paint outside in a well-ventilated area. If you're worried about getting paint on the ground, spread out newspapers or canvas beforehand.
Take the rag or towel and dip it in water. Use it to scrub the suitcase and remove any dirt, scuffs or residue that may be on it. Use soap for dirt that is more difficult to remove. Wait for the suitcase to dry before proceeding further.
Use the painter's tape to tape off any areas of the luggage you don't want paint to get on. Apply a coat of primer to the luggage. Wait for it to dry before applying additional coats.
Once the primer coats have dried, you can begin to paint on your luggage. Use stencils for designs, unless you opt to paint the entire suitcase in solid colours. Experiment with various types of paint.
Once the paint has dried, add a layer of varnish. Varnish helps protect your new paint job so that it lasts for a long time.
Tips and warnings
- For best results, choose suitcases made out of fabrics. Hard-shell exteriors will make painting much more difficult.
- Paint outside or in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling dangerous fumes.
- Be patient and let each layer of primer or paint dry before attempting to apply another one.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for