How to Update a New Passport on OCI

Updated July 20, 2017

An Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card allows Indian citizens abroad to travel openly in India. If you are an OCI cardholder with a new American passport, you may have to update your card and obtain a new "U" visa sticker for your new passport and a new OCI booklet, depending on your age. Minors 20 years of age or under, and people ages 50 and up are required to take this action. Anyone else may travel to India simply by carrying both the new passport, the old passport that contains the visa sticker, and their OCI card.

Visit the OCI website (see Resources) to check for updates. Document requirements change frequently.

Complete, print and sign the Online OCI Miscellaneous Form (see Resources). If a minor is to young to sign these forms, use a thumbprint that has been dipped in black ink instead.

Complete, print and sign the Online Order Form (see Resources).

Prepare two identical passport photos. Ensure that the photos meet ISO guidelines which require the photo to be in colour, clear, and show a full front view of your face without glasses and eyes open. Photos must be 2 inches by 2 inches (51mm by 51mm).

Prepare your original US passport, your expired US passport that contains the OCI visa sticker and your original OCI card. You must send in all three original documents with your forms.

If applicable, make photocopies of your naturalisation certificate or your parents' naturalisation certificates.

Make a photocopy of a proof of address document, such as your driver's licence. The address must match the address on your OCI application. Cell phone bills, credit card statements, bank statements or leases are not acceptable forms of proof of residency.

If applicable, include photocopies of your name change documentation such as your marriage certificate, official court order or notarised letter.

Make photocopies of the information page of your old passport, your OCI registration certificate, and two copies of all other documents including forms. The copies do not need to be notarised but they do need to be signed and self-asserted by simply writing "this is a true copy of the original" on all copies.

Prepare a money order or a cashier's check for fees. Fees change regularly, so verify the cost (see Resources).

Prepare a prepaid and self-addressed return shipping label that will be provided so that your origional documents and your new OCI booklet can be returned to you.

Submit all completed and signed forms, photocopies, required origional documents, passport photos, and prepaid self-addressed return shipping label to Travisa India Outsourcing. The branch to which you will send your documents depends on your location so verify the address (see Resources).


Send items using a traceable method such as UPS or FedEx. Don't staple documents together. Use paper clips. Make sure you sign all areas without going outside the box. Keep a copy of all forms for your records.


All information must match information originally entered online during OCI application process. Processing time can take up to two months, especially if there are errors in your application.

Things You'll Need

  • Printed OCI Miscellaneous Service Form
  • Printed online order form
  • 2 identical 2" by 2" passport photos
  • New U.S. passport
  • Expired U.S. passport
  • OCI card
  • Photocopy of Naturalization Certificate if applicable
  • Photocopy of Proof of Address
  • Name change documentation
  • Photocopy of the information page in the expired passport
  • Photocopy of Registration Certificate
  • 2 self-attested photocopies of all required documents
  • Money Order or Cashier's Check for processing fee
  • Prepaid return shipping label
  • Submission envelope and postage
Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Based in Paris, France, Marianne Descott has been writing since 2002. Covering subjects such as parenting and travel, she has been published in "Lonely Planet" and "Get Born" magazine. She also regularly blogs on living abroad and international issues. Descott has a Bachelor of Arts in social sciences.