Written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki, "Princess Mononoke", also known as "Mononoke Hime", was a Japanese-language animated film from 1997. It revolves around the fight between the nature and forest guardians against the humans of Iron Town, who are led by Lady Eboshi. On the side of the forest guardians is the movie's title character, who is also known as San, a woman who was raised by a wolf-god. Away from the influences of human civilisation, San has a wild look, wearing furs and teeth, which can easily be copied for a costume.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- White tank top
- Knee-skimming dark-coloured skirt
- Length of white costume fur
- 2 safety pins
- Brown or cream leather Indian moccasins or slippers
- 2 thin leather arm bands or thick leather bracelets
- Thin brown band of leather or brown fabric headband
- Costume necklace stringed with large fake teeth
- Costume dagger or spear
- Short, brown-haired wig
- Red cream make-up base
Put on a white tank top and knee-skimming skirt in brown, black or blue. Cut a slit partway up the side of the skirt. This should be as far as necessary to allow you to comfortably kneel like a wild animal, which is one of San's signature poses. Put on the moccasins; cut off any tassels or beads they may have.
Cut the length of the white costume fur to be used as a cape. It should extend to approximately where your butt begins, or to the length that is most comfortable for you. Place two ends of the costume fur on your shoulders and carefully pin them in place to the tank top with the safety pins. Make sure, however, that the safety pins are not visible from the outside.
Put on the two thin leather arm bands, or two thick leather bracelets if you can't find arm bands, in the middle of each bicep. Place the thin brown band of leather, or brown fabric headband, around your head. Put on a necklace of large fake teeth. You can buy this at a costume store. Carry a costume dagger.
Put on a short, brown-haired wig. If you do not naturally have short brown hair, the wig will automatically give you Princess Mononoke hair.
Apply bright streaks of the red cream make-up base under each eye, starting thick at the eye and thinner toward the chin, in the shape of a wolf's tooth or a triangle slightly curved at the end and pointing toward the nose, and on the forehead, thick near the hairline and thinner toward the third eye, like a triangle.
Tips and warnings
- If you are going to a school party, or anywhere else that a costume dagger or lance may be banned or misinterpreted, don't buy one or leave it at home.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for