Silk screening kits, also known as screen printing kits, are used to imprint designs onto clothing, accessories, and posters. They traditionally consist of a piece of silk fabric that is stretched over a wooden frame, and a squeegee. Store-bought silk screening kits can be costly, but you can create your own homemade kit for a fraction of the price. All the materials required to make the silk screening kit are available to purchase from craft stores, hardware stores or online retailers.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Embroidery hoop
- Staple gun
- Duct tape
Remove the middle section of the embroidery hoop. Cut a piece of gauze that is 2-inches larger than the middle of the embroidery hoop.
Place the edge of the gauze over the edge of the small embroidery hoop. Staple the gauze to the outside of the hoop. Stretch more of the gauze over the outside of the hoop and staple with the staple gun. Repeat this process until the entire embroidery hoop is covered with fabric. It is essential that the gauze is stretched wrinkle-free, and tight over the hoop.
Insert the larger hoop over the smaller hoop and click onto place. Secure the embroidery hoops together by tightening the small screw on the side of the hoop.
Cut a strip of cardboard, that is about 4-inches long and 3-inches high. Wrap the outside of the cardboard squeegee with the duct tape until it is completely covered. The cardboard squeegee should be disposed after one use.
Tips and warnings
- Choose your gauze wisely, if the mesh is too thin it will not allow the paint to get pushed through, but is the mesh is too thick the paint will bleed. Good fabrics to use in your silk screening kits are silk, chiffon and polyester.
- If you wish to reuse the silk screening kit do not use staples, instead stretch the fabric over the embroidery hoop by hand, and secure by placing the other hoop over the gauze and tightening the screw. The screen gauze can then be removed, washed and reused.
- You will need to purchase some photo-emulsion paint and a silk screen lamp to complete the kit.
- The staple gun should only be used by responsible adults.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for