SpongeBob SquarePants made its debut on Nickelodeon in 1999, and has since become an international sensation. The character has been on television and in movies ever since. Not surprisingly, many different SpongeBob costumes are available in stores for Halloween. If you wish to create your own costume, you can use a cardboard box as the basis. With some paint and a few other pieces of clothing, your SpongeBob costume will be ready in no time.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Cardboard box
- Acrylic paint and brushes
- Yellow body suit
- Brown short trousers
- Black shoes
- Hot glue gun and black mesh (optional)
Select a box that is large enough to wear as a shirt. It should be as wide as your shoulders, and twice as long as the distance from your waist to your eyes.
Cut the bottom out of the box.
Slip the box over your head and torso, holding the bottom at waist-level. Mark where your shoulders are and cut holes for your arms.
Draw SpongeBob's face, shirt and trousers onto the box with a pencil. The mouth must be open, and positioned at your eye level when wearing the box.
Cut the mouth out with a sharp pair of scissors, then put the box on with your arms through their holes to make sure the mouth placement allows you to see. Make adjustments if needed.
Paint the box with yellow, white, red, brown, black, blue and green acrylic paints. Keep an image of SpongeBob handy as you work to use as a reference.
Put on a yellow bodysuit, followed by brown shorts and black shoes.
Put the box on over the bodysuit and other clothing. Your arms and legs will be incorporated into the box, completing the costume.
Tips and warnings
- Match the colours of the bodysuit and trousers as closely to the colour of the paints, or match the paints to the clothing.
- If desired, you can hot-glue black mesh over the mouth hole, making it more difficult to see your face. This will restrict your vision somewhat.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for