One of the most beautiful traits of the Yorkshire breed is its long, flowing, silky coat. But as attractive as the Yorkie's luxurious coat can be, it does come at a price, since grooming is a must for this breed. If you own a Yorkshire terrier, you must learn, in particular, how to take care of the hair around the dog's eyes. This is not only for aesthetic reasons, but for your Yorkie's health as well. Stray hairs may get into its eyes, causing potential irritation or even infection.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Dog shampoo
- Blow dryer
- Blunt baby scissors
- Small elastic
Give your Yorkshire a bath so you can work with clean hair. Dry its coat with a blow dryer. Your Yorkshire's coat, once dry should be shiny, glossy and completely smooth.
Comb the hair around your Yorkshire terrier's face forward. Make sure you remove any knots and tangles and that the hair is smooth and shiny.
Select a section of hair if you are planning to make a topknot. If you only want to trim the hair without making a topknot, simply use the blunt baby scissors to cut fringe just above the eyes. This is called a "puppy cut."
Trim all the hair around the hair selected for the topknot. This should leave you only with a strand of hairs for your topknot.
Comb the hair upwards in a ponytail and secure with a small rubber band. Finish the hairdo by attaching a pretty bow to the hair. Your Yorkshire terrier 's eyes are now clear of hair and your Yorkie will also be able to see better.
Tips and warnings
- Use lukewarm water for your Yorkie's bath and only use shampoo formulated fog dogs.
- The topknot should be in the centre of the head, slightly in front and between the ears.
- Once a day, take the topknot down and massage your Yorkie's forehead.
- Never use the hot settings on your blow dryer.
- Avoid tying the rubber band too tightly or it may bother your Yorkie.
- Never attempt to remove the rubber band by pulling it off; this will break the hair. Use blunt scissors to cut it off.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for