How to Travel With Passports From Two Different Countries

Written by jody hanson
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How to Travel With Passports From Two Different Countries
Dual nationality gives you more choices. (Phil Ashley/Lifesize/Getty Images)

Dual nationality -- holding passports from two countries -- means a person can travel on either passport. If, for example, you have an American and a British passport, it allows you to come and go from the United State as you choose, and you are eligible to travel, live and work anywhere in the EU as well. Be aware that if you travel with two passports and run into problems -- such as being deported -- you will be sent back to your birth country.

Skill level:


  1. 1

    Check before you travel with two passports. If you are an American citizen, you do not lose your passport if you get a second one. Some countries -- such as Djibouti, Japan and Laos -- do not allow dual citizenship, so you will lose the passport of your birth country if you take out a second passport to travel overseas.

  2. 2

    Carry both passports with you when you travel. U.S. citizens are required to enter and exit on their American passports.

  3. 3

    Use the two passports to your advantage. If, for instance, you are backpacking through Southeast Asia, do your visa loading with both passports. For example, while one passport is being processed at the Vietnamese Embassy, the other can be done at the Cambodian consulate.

  4. 4

    Keep both passports safe at all times when you travel. Losing a passport overseas involves a nightmare of paperwork to have it replaced and having to do it twice would be doubly stressful.

  5. 5

    Choose which of the two passports you will use to enter different countries. If you are going to a place that is hostile to America, go in on your Canadian passport. If you are going to Chile, for instance, save paying the £48 fee for Australians by using your New Zealand passport. Also check travel warnings from the embassies -- this can be done online -- and if one country has a travel alert, cross the border with the other passport.

Tips and warnings

  • You may be eligible for a second passport if one of your parents was born overseas. St. Kitts Nevis and Dominica are the only two countries in the world that issue passports to "quality investors" -- but they are expensive.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.