For those who want to save money or who simply prefer a do-it-yourself approach to hair care, L'Oreal Paris offers its Superior Preference hair colour. Superior Preference is available in more than 50 shades and, according to L'Oreal, the product will provide up to eight weeks of hair colour. If you are preparing to colour your hair with Superior Preference, it is important to follow the application instructions to ensure the best results. (See Reference 2.)
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- L'Oreal Superior Preference hair colouring kit
- Soap and water
- Small plastic or glass dish
- Hair clips
- 2 to 3 towels (that you do not mind staining)
- Hand mirror
Put on the gloves provided in the hair colouring kit. Cleanse a small area of skin near the inner elbow with the soap and water. Pat the area dry with a towel.
Mix three drops of the Fade-Defying Color Gel with three drops of the Color Optimizing Crème in the small dish. Coat the Q-tip with the mixture and dab it on the cleansed area of the arm.
Allow the liquid to dry on the arm and leave it in place for 48 hours. Examine the spot at 24 hours and again at 48 hours.
Continue with the full application procedure if you do not see a reaction at the test site. Do not continue colouring if you see signs of a possible reaction at the test site, such as redness or irritation.
Put on the gloves. Remove the cap from the Color Optimizing Crème. Pour the entire contents of the Fade-Defying Color Gel into the Color Optimizing Crème bottle. Replace the cap tightly on the Color Optimizing Crème bottle.
Cover the tip of the Color Optimizing Crème bottle with your finger. Shake the bottle to blend the mixture. Drape a towel over your shoulders and use the comb to remove any tangles from your hair.
Use the tip of the Color Optimizing Crème bottle to make 1/4-inch parts in your hair. Apply the Crème to your roots as you part and use your fingers to work the Crème through your hair from the roots to the tips. Apply additional colour to the hair as needed to ensure all of the hair is completely coated. Use the clips to section off hair that has been coloured, and the handheld mirror to see the hair on the back of your head.
Pull your hair back away from your face once it is completely coated. Allow the colour to sit for 25 minutes. Dampen another towel and use it to wipe away any colour on your skin.
Rinse your hair with warm water until the water runs clear. Apply the Care Supreme Color-Saving Conditioner to your hair. Allow the conditioner to sit on your hair for two to three minutes. Rinse it. Dry and style your hair as desired.
Tips and warnings
- Perform the skin allergy test 48 hours prior to colouring your hair with L'Oreal Superior Preference.
- Read the instruction sheet that comes with the colour kit before starting.
- Do not wash or wet your hair before applying L'Oreal Preference.
- Use the Color Optimizing Crème immediately after mixing it with the Fade Defying Gel.
- Do not cover your hair while it is colouring.
- Thick, long or hard to colour hair may require two boxes of L'Oreal Superior Preference.
- Touch-up your colour every four to six weeks.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for