Give new life to a pair of flare trousers by transforming them into skinny jeans. The alterations are pretty straightforward. You can achieve a whole new look without much fuss and without a big price tag.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Pair of flare jeans
- Sharp scissors
- Fabric pen or marker
- Sewing machine or sewing needle
Turn the jeans inside out and then put them on.
Take the pen and mark the area where you want your skinny jeans to start on the outer leg. Pull the flare away from the inside towards the outside of your leg, folding the fabric at the outer seam. Mark the area where you want the skinniness to end at the bottom of the jeans.
Take off the jeans and use a ruler to connect the two marks, with the pant leg folded at the seam. It should look like a diagonal line, gradually making the jeans skinner as you move towards the bottom.
Sew a straight stitch beginning at the top of the diagonal line, near the original seam, and extending to the bottom of the jeans.
Cut off the excess fabric leaving a 5/8-inch seam allowance.
Sew a zigzag stitch along the seam allowance to prevent fraying of the unfinished edges.
Tips and warnings
- Start with jeans that fit well throughout the seat and legs in order to achieve the desired finished look.
- Try on the jeans after sewing the first leg but before you cut the excess fabric. You can then see if the jeans have the desired fit.
- Once you have cut the excess fabric there is no going back. Before cutting, make sure you are comfortable with the fit and the new style of jeans.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for