Princess Tiger Lily is a character in the book Peter Pan, which was created by Scottish novelist J.M.Barrie. Princess Tiger Lily rules over the Tribe of Indians who inhabit the magical realm of Neverland. Her clothing is similar to Native American tribal wear -- or at least Victorian British images of it. The Princess Tiger Lily outfit is a great fancy dress costume for children and adults alike, and it can be made out of a few simple items that are available to purchase from craft stores or from online retailers.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Beige dress
- Blue fabric
- Red fabric
- A white feather
- Red permanent marker
- Yellow permanent marker
- Tape measure
Measure the circumference of your head with the tape and note down the measurement. Cut out a piece of the blue fabric that is 25 cm (10 inches) longer than your head measurement and 5 cm (2 inches) in width.
Place the white feather on top of several sheets of newspaper to protect your work surfaces. Colour the bottom two-thirds of the feather with the yellow permanent marker and allow it to air dry. Colour in the remaining tip of the feather with the red marker pen and allow to air dry.
Tie the blue headband over the forehead and around the back of the head, secure in a knot. Insert the feather into the back of the headband so that the red feather tip is at the top.
Measure your waist. Measure and cut a piece of red fabric that is 25 cm (10 inches) longer than the measurement of your waist and 5 cm (2 inches) in width.
Lay the beige dress flat onto your work-desk. Cut the bottom of the dress with 2.5 cm (1 inch) deep cuts that are evenly spaced 1 cm apart. This will create an Indian style fringe for your smock.
Put on the dress. Tie the red piece of fabric around the waist and secure at the back of the dress in a knot.
Tips and warnings
- For an authentic look style the hair in two even plaits, and secure with a piece of red or yellow coloured string.
- Complete the look with tan coloured flip flops, or traditional Indian moccasins.
- Charity shops and jumble sales are a great place to look for cheap beige coloured dresses. You can further embellish your smock using feathers, beads and gems.
- Scissors should only be used under the supervision of an adult.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for