Highly active working dogs, pregnant and nursing mother dogs, and underweight dogs may all benefit from a high-calorie diet or high-calorie supplements. High-calorie dog food includes real meat protein and essential minerals. You can buy commercial, high-calorie dog foods, but making the food at home ensures your dogs get the protein and amino acids they need and lets you customise the feed to your dog's size. Many dog breeders and experts recommend a ground-meat-based recipe called Satin Balls.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 2.27 Kilogram high-fat, raw hamburger
- 6 cups Total cereal
- 7 cups uncooked oatmeal
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 5 raw eggs and eggshells
- 5 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 large bowl
- 12 large freezer bags
Open the tops of the 12 freezer bags and place on counter.
Mix the Total, oatmeal and wheat germ together in a large bowl.
Add the oil, molasses and salt, and mix well.
Crack the eggs into the bowl, then crush the eggshells and add into the mixture.
Pour in the gelatin, and mix all the ingredients well.
Add the raw hamburger and knead it until all ingredients are combined into a meat loaf consistency.
Roll the mixture into 1 to 2 inch diameter meatballs.
Place the meatballs into the freezer bags and store in your freezer until you are ready to use them. Feed them thawed and raw, as needed.
Tips and warnings
- Feed the preparation as primary food, or use in smaller amounts as supplements or treats.
- Double or halve the recipe, as needed.
- Size the meatballs up or down to meet the needs of your dog.
- Preparing the freezer bags before making the mixture helps make the process neater and cleaner.
- Homemade high-calorie food must contain real meat protein; vegetable protein lacks the amino acids dogs need.
- Dogs gain weight quickly with high-calorie food, so avoid overfeeding.
- Ask your vet if you have any nutritional questions or concerns, or if your dog does not maintain proper weight.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for