A round floral oasis is any container which holds water and can be used for flower arranging. It may be small like a candy dish or large like a vase or soup tureen. Anything round that holds water can be made into an oasis for a flower arrangement. Floral foam is material that is water-porous and provides structure to hold flower stems. Some plastic florist oases have teeth in the bottom to hold the foam in place. Floral foam can be purchased at online florist supply websites or in craft stores.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Round dish or vase
- Floral foam
- Scissors or flower cutters
- Small paring knife
Cut the foam block with a paring knife to fit inside the round vase or dish. Cut off squared corners to create a round shape. The foam should stand 1 inch above the edge of the container.
Make 6 "X"-shaped knife cuts in the top of the foam block. Twist slightly with each cut to create wide openings. This allows water to easily soak deeply into the centre of the foam. Add water very slowly to the oasis, especially into the "X"-shaped holes. Soak for 10 to 20 minutes.
Choose taller flowers with strong stems for the centre of the arrangement. If the stems are not strong, wrap them loosely with wire before using. Tall flowers such as delphinium, iris, hybrid tea roses, lilies or tulips make an attractive arrangement center.Cut stems to create a balanced height with the size of the bowl or vase. Press the stems firmly 1 or 2 inches into the soaked foam.
Choose medium and smaller flowers to create a pyramid shape of flowers from the centre. Flowers with many individual blossoms such as lilac and hyacinth fill the visual space effectively. Press their stems 1 to 2 inches into the foam. Use all the flowers, creating a look of loose abundance or formal elegance. Fill in any remaining spaces with fern leaves or baby's breath flowers.
Tips and warnings
- Marbles and rocks may be used instead of florist foam to create an oasis for flower arranging. They are most effective when the vase is glass and they become part of the beauty of the arrangement.
- Whole citrus such as lemons or tangerines can be used in the same way. They begin to turn soft after three days.
- Floral frogs are small metal cage-shaped structures used in the same way florist foam is used. They are reusable and less expensive over the long run.
- Floral foam should be used only one time.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for