Castile soap is a type of natural soap made exclusively from vegetable fats and oils, such as olive oil. Although Castile soap is typically formulated with an olive oil base, other vegetable oils derived from coconut, almond, walnut and avocado may be used as a base. Castile soap is sold in liquid and solid bar form. Mild and natural, it's an ideal ingredient for making homemade body wash. You can add one or more of your favourite essential oils, such as grapefruit, rosemary, lavender, lemon and tea tree to these recipes.
Things you need
- Double-boiler pan
- Food grater
- 2 bars pure Castile soap
- Distilled or spring water
- Palm oil
- Vegetable glycerine
- Jojoba oil
- Essential oils
- Wooden spoon
- Plastic bottles with caps
- Liquid Castile soap
Place a double-boiler pan on the stove over low heat.
Grate two 142 g (5 oz) bars of pure Castile soap into the double-boiler pan using a food grater. The two bars equal about 2 cups once grated.
Add 711 ml (3 cups) of distilled or spring water, 1 tablespoon of palm oil and a 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable glycerine into the double-boiler pan and allow it to simmer until the soap is liquefied.
Pour 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil into the mixture, then remove the double-boiler pan from the heat and allow it to cool slightly.
Add 1 tablespoon of essential oils to the mixture and stir well with a wooden spoon.
Allow the body wash to cool completely to room temperature.
Place a funnel into a large plastic bottle and slowly fill the bottle with the body wash. Shake the bottle thoroughly, then use the body wash as you normally would.
Solid Castile soap recipe
Pour 237 ml (1 cup) of liquid Castile soap into a large container.
Add a 118 ml (1/2 cup) of distilled or spring water, 3 tablespoon of jojoba oil and 1 tablespoon of essential oils to the container.
Stir the body wash thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
Place a funnel into a large plastic bottle and slowly fill the bottle with the body wash.
Shake the bottle thoroughly, then use the body wash as you normally would.
Liquid Castile soap recipe
Tips and warnings
- Choose either unscented or scented Castile soap for these recipes. Castile soap is available in several scents, including peppermint, citrus orange, eucalyptus, tea tree, lavender and rose.
- Both body wash recipes can fill two to four 227 g (8 oz) plastic bottles and have a shelf life of about one month.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for