Legends of mermaids have been popular for ages, particularly among old-world sailors, and they're an oft-seen Halloween costume for women. But girls and women aren't the only people who can enjoy transforming into half-human, half-fish creatures; boys and men can turn themselves into mermen. Putting together a merman costume on your own is a simple process that doesn't require many materials. Although mermen are often depicted with a beard and green hair, there are many variations of this costume, depending on your personal preferences.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Length of blue-green or "aqua"-coloured shimmery cloth
- Blue and/or green sequins
- Colourful seashells (optional)
- Hot glue gun
- Green wig (optional)
- Fake beard (optional)
- Men's torso costume (optional)
- Needle and thread (optional)
- Sandals with seashells (optional)
Wrap the blue-green shimmery fabric tightly around your legs, starting above your knees, until your waist, hips, thighs, and legs are covered securely. When you get to the waist, tuck the material deep into the back of the waist.
Attach another piece of the shimmery blue material above the knees, which will extend far enough down to cover the shoes. This can be done using a needle and thread or a hot-glue gun.
Use the hot-glue gun to fix sequins, seashells, and other decorations to the tail fin.
Don the green wig, beard, seashell necklace, Hawaiian lei and sandals, and grab your trident. If you feel uncomfortable going topless or if the weather is too cold to permit it, put on a fake men's torso, which can be purchased at a costume store, preferably one that is made to look strong and buff.
Tips and warnings
- Wrap the tail fin material around your legs several times to ensure that it will not come undone.
- Be careful when you're walking that you don't trip. It is best to take small steps.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for