Chainmail is a type of armour from medieval times created from interwoven metal rings. It is worn like a regular piece of clothing and is seen in both movies and fantasy comics. The ability to draw chainmail is a useful skill for any aspiring artist to have. Adding chainmail to a character's costume helps create a powerful look with relative ease.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Drawing pencil
- Black pen
Draw the chainmail's outline lightly using a pencil. Focus on just the outline and make sure the chainmail curves and bends like a natural piece of clothing.
Draw closely grouped horizontal lines across the chainmail using a pencil. Do not draw the lines completely straight. Allow them to follow the natural bend of the clothing for a realistic look.
Add half circles in between the horizontal lines with your pencil. Make sure the circles touch one another to create a realistic look.
Darken your chainmail drawing with either a pencil or pen to finalise the piece. Add shading and highlights to enhance your chainmail's look.
Tips and warnings
- Press lightly with your pencil at first. This makes corrections and touchups easier.
- Study other artist's chainmail drawings to get an idea of what you want your chainmail to look like.
- Observe pictures of chainmail to see how it looks and falls in real life.
- It's better to be simple when first starting. Don't go overboard with detail.
- The more practice the better. Once you start to get the hang of things create new methods to find what works best for you.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for