Bake a flower pot cake, sometimes called a dirt cake, to use as a centrepiece or conversation piece for any meal or to be given as a gift. The cake can be baked right in the flower pot if the flowerpot is made of terracotta, porcelain or any other heat-safe material. To use a non-heat-safe pot, the cake can be baked first and layered into the pot for a similar result.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- New flower pot
- Mixing bowls
- Artificial flowers
- Gummy worms
- Finely crushed Oreo cookies
- Chocolate cake mix
- Vegetable Oil
- Garden spade or trowel for serving
- Tin foil or parchment paper
Wash the flower pot, garden tool and artificial flowers and set them aside to dry. Once the pot is dry, cover any drainage holes with a small square of tin foil or parchment paper. Spray the pot with non-stick cooking spray.
Prepare the cake mix according to package directions using the required amount of eggs, water and oil, as indicated on the box, in a mixing bowl.
Fill the flower pot approximately three quarters full with the cake mixture, and bake according the bundt pan directions on the box. To test the cake's readiness, use a toothpick. Stick the toothpick into the cake, and if the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done.
Remove the cake from the oven when cooking is completed. Allow the cake to cool completely.
Add finely chopped cookie crumbs to the top of the cake. Partially bury some worms in the cookies, and push stems for artificial flowers into the cake to decorate.
Serve with the spade or trowel.
Tips and warnings
- Use a decorative flower pot for added beauty.
- The cake can also be made from scratch or recipes instead of using prepackaged mix.
- To use a non-heat safe flower pot, make the cake in baking pans and cut up or stack inside of the flower pot, then add the cookies, worms and artificial flowers as decoration.
- Do not use soap to wash terracotta or the flavour of soap may be noticeable in your cake.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for