The Microsoft Xbox 360's hard drive attachment is no different from the many other hard drive used in computers. In fact, the Xbox 360's hard drive actually encases a standard laptop hard drive. If you are experiencing a constant clicking sound from your hard drive, there is a chance that this issue is just being caused by a communications issue between the hard drive and the Xbox 360. If the clicking persists, contact Microsoft, as the hard drive is surely going to fail.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Turn off the Xbox 360 and disconnect all cables, as well as the hard drive and any other attached peripherals. The clicking could be caused by the system overheating, causing difficulties when accessing the hard drive.
Allow the unit to cool for at least 30 minutes. While waiting, ensure that the Xbox 360 is placed in a well-ventilated area and that the fans are not blocked.
Reinsert all cables and the hard drive and power the system back on. If the problem persists, your Xbox 360 hard drive is either going to fail or already has.
Back up any data from the hard drive to an Xbox 360 memory card or properly formatted USB stick, if possible. Any items you have purchased, as well as your Gamertag, can be re-downloaded provided you are still connected to Xbox Live, but you cannot recover data such as saved games from the Xbox Live service.
Reformat the Xbox 360 hard drive by navigating to "My Xbox->System Settings->Memory," then highlighting the hard drive. Select the "Format" option and choose "Yes" when prompted to confirm the selection.
Enter your console's serial number, if prompted; this can be found on the back of the Xbox 360 console above the Ethernet port. Select "Done." This step is included by Microsoft to ensure that no accidental formatting occurs.
Tips and warnings
- Contact Microsoft customer support at 800-469-9269 or log in to Xbox.com and determine whether the hard drive is still under warranty; if so, follow Microsoft's exchange procedure as instructed by the Microsoft representative.
- Not all Xbox 360 content is transferable. If the issue is simply that you cannot transfer data to the hard drive, try different content and see whether the issue persists. You will typically receive a message stating that the item isn't transferable, which does not mean there is an issue with your hard drive.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for