Tablet weaving, also known as card weaving, is one of the oldest forms of weaving. You can use tablet weaving cards to produce long woven strips of textile. You can use tablet weaving to make belts and decorative straps for tote bags or purses. Your tablet weaving can also be turned into cuff bracelets.
The cards for tablet weaving are very easy to make. All you need is some sturdy card or a similar material, with a smooth surface that won't snag on the yarn. An old deck of playing cards is ideal.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Old playing cards
- Steel ruler
- Hobby knife
- Hole punch
- Crochet yarn or a similar smooth, strong yarn
- Tablet weaving loom, can be improvised
Measure the width of the playing cards. Measure and mark a point on each of the long sides of the playing card that is the same as their width. Rule a straight line between them. Lay the steel ruler alongside this line. Cut along the line with the hobby knife. Round off the corners of the cut section with the hobby knife. (You can use scissors, but they tend to distort the card and don't make such a clean cut.)
Cut five more playing cards in the same way. Punch holes in the four corners of the card with the single hole punch, ensuring that they are spaced regularly and there is a margin of at least a quarter of an inch between the holes in the card and the edge. The holes must be round and have smooth edges so that yarn will pass easily through them.
Make a shuttle from another playing card by cutting a shallow triangle out of each of the short ends of the card. (The shuttle carries the weft for your weaving project.)
Your tablet weaving cards are now ready to thread and use.
Tips and warnings
- As well as playing cards, you can make tablet weaving cards from any strong, smooth card. You could even make the cards from thin pieces of smooth, fine-grained wood.
- When you cut the warp threads, they should be at least 120 per cent the length of the intended project. To this length you should add an extra 20 inches to allow for the width of the cards and the knots you will need to tie the warp in place.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for