A combination of baking soda, essential oil and salt makes hard, durable drawer fresheners. The deodorising power of baking soda helps eliminate odours, while the essential oil adds a naturally clean scent to your clothing. The salt hardens the drawer fresheners, so they won't crumble over time. Place a few anywhere you detect a stale odour, such as in dressers, chests and closets. Make a set of these drawer fresheners in pretty shapes, then bundle into a clear chiffon bag for a quick and economical gift.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup salt
- Glass or ceramic bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Lavender essential oil
- Spray bottle
- Witch hazel
- Silicon ice-cube tray with heart- or circle-shaped openings
Pour 1 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup salt into the bowl and stir with the wooden spoon.
Add 6 drops lavender essential oil and stir, breaking up any large clumps.
Fill the spray bottle with witch hazel. Spray the baking-soda mixture until it is just damp. Depending on your spray bottle, this will take five to seven sprays. Stir to blend.
Pick up a handful of the mixture and squeeze. If it holds together, the mixture is ready to mould. If it crumbles, add a few more sprays of witch hazel. If it is runny, stir in an extra 1/4 cup baking soda. Test again to ensure you have the right consistency.
Firmly pack the mixture into the openings of the ice-cube tray and leave in place for 1 hour. Turn the drawer fresheners out onto a flat surface and let dry overnight.
Tips and warnings
- Add colour by mixing in five drops of food colouring before you add the essential oil.
- Essential oils are sold with slow-drip lids, so counting the drops is easy. If your bottle doesn't have this kind of lid, use a pipette or eye dropper to measure the oil correctly.
- Use these as mini bath bombs as well; just add two or three to your bathtub to soften and gently scent the water.
- Never use a plastic bowl or utensils for essential-oil projects, as the plastic will permanently absorb the scent.
- Get the mixture into the moulds quickly; once it sets it will be rock hard.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for