When you are putting on a formal dinner for lots of guests at a wedding reception, charity ball or work-related functions. It's the small details that get noticed and simple folded name cards, while functional, don't show much imagination or flair. Making your own stylish wire card holders is simple and economical and you can use them again at your next formal dinner event. Once you've got the hang of making these holders, though, you'll probably want to experiment with your own designs and it can be quite addictive. Maybe you'll be booking a stall at local craft fairs next and start selling a few as an extra cash-making hobby.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 12 inches of 12 gauge metallic floral wire
- Thick marker
- Wire cutters
- Needle nose pliers
Measure and cut a 12-inch piece of the metallic floral wire with the wire cutters.
Start at one end and bend the wire twice around the thick marker pen. This will be the top of your holder and the card will slot firmly in between the two wire circles.
Make a 90 degree angle at the end of the second full wire circle, as if the circle had a flat bottom at this point. The wire should now be pointing straight out from the double circle. Needle nose pliers easily create a 90 degree angle in such bendable wire, so they are ideal for the job.
Create another 90 degree angle 2 1/2 inches down from the circle. Use the ruler to be exact. You will probably be making several holders and will want them all to be the same height. Make it so that it is on the same directional plane as the circle for the best aesthetic affect when the holder is completed.
Bend the remaining wire around in a spiral with your hands to make the base of the holder. Beginning just after the 90 degree turn in the wire, make a small circle (use the marker pen to ensure a nice round curve if you like). Don't close the circle, but let it widen out into a larger surrounding circle. Continue with the spiral until the wire ends.
Stand the holder upright on a level surface and push down any parts of the base that are not flat. Reposition the wire anywhere that it has come out of shape during completion. You now have your basic floral wire table card holder which will be approximately 3 inches tall.
Tips and warnings
- Use a hot glue gun to add decorative features of your choice such as silk flowers or ribbons. Using thinner floral wire, you could make holders using something like a large attractive beach pebble or a stone as a base. Stand the stone, or chosen weight, on two crossing pieces of wire and wrap them around until they meet at the top. Then you can twist the wires around each other to the desired height and bend the wires in circles or spirals there to hold the table cards.
- Use protective gloves and goggles when cutting wire or using a hot glue gun.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for