Silica gel is a desiccant, which is a substance that removes moisture from the air and objects, such as shoes or linens. Silica gel packets are often found inside the packaging of electronics, clothing and several other products, in order to protect them from moisture damage. After time, silica gel will become saturated and will no longer be effective. It is possible to regenerate silica gel in order to reuse it to protect objects throughout the home.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Shallow walled baking pan
- Aluminium foil
- Air tight container
Preheat an oven to 149 degrees Celsius.
Line a shallow walled baking pan with aluminium foil.
Spread a single layer of silica onto the aluminium foil. Packets can also be laid flat in a single layer onto the sheet.
Place the baking tray into the oven and allow it to remain there for at least three hours.
Remove the silica gel from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
Reuse the dried silica gel or store it in an air tight container.
Tips and warnings
- Some brands of silica gel will turn pink when completely saturated and blue when dry.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for