Velvet creates a soft embellishment for use on any number of craft or sewing projects when transformed into a delicate rose. After you form the rose, place it on a plain barrette for a feminine hair accessory, attach it to a dress or shirt to dress the garment up or make a dozen of the fuzzy florals to create your own velvet rose bouquet. Velvet roses are simple enough to make that even an older child can participate in the craftiness.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Cutting mat
- Rotary cutter
Lay your velvet out on a cutting mat. Measure and cut a 3-inch-by-30-inch piece using a rotary cutter guided by your ruler. Make the cut in one long smooth motion so you have a nice clean edge.
Fold the strip of velvet in half lengthwise, with the right side of the fabric facing out. Crease the fold with your hands only.
Sew the long raw edges of the folded strip together with a running stitch 1/4 inch away from the edge. A running stitch is a simple back-and-forth stitch with a 1/4-inch or longer length for each stitch. Leave a tail of thread a few inches long when you finish stitching across the edge.
Pull the tail of thread to gather the velvet fabric. The fabric will begin to coil naturally as you gather it. Coil it tightly in the beginning to form the centre of your rose, and gradually get looser to form the outer petals.
Wrap the last 1 to 1 1/2 inches of the velvet strip around the underside of the flower so the raw edge is neatly tucked under. Sew a few stitches through the layers of the rose on the bottom to hold the flower together.
Tips and warnings
- If you find yourself having to roll the rotary cutter back and forth several times to cut clean through the fabric, it is time to change the blade.
- Don't iron the velvet fabric after you make the fold, as this can ruin the texture of the velvet.
- Substitute 1 1/2-inch-wide wired velvet ribbon to make your velvet rose. Don't fold the ribbon in half or sew a running stitch. Instead, just use one of the wires to gather the ribbon, and proceed through the rest of the steps.
- Always cut away from your body when using a rotary cutter.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for