With everyday use, couch cushions are often subjected to food and drink spills, shedding pets and dirt. Before cleaning soiled couch cushions, it's important to check the care manual or tag for the proper cleaning method. If your couch cushions are labelled "dry-clean only," there's no need to call a professional cleaning service right away. A few common household items are all you need to remove most spills and messes from your cushions.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Baking soda
- Dry-cleaning upholstery spray
- White cloth or towel
Remove the cushions from the couch if possible, and sprinkle them with an even layer of baking soda to cover. Allow the baking soda to sit for at least 15 minutes to absorb any odours or spills.
Vacuum the couch cushions thoroughly with a soft brush or upholstery attachment.
Spray any dirty or stained areas with an upholstery dry-cleaning product. Allow it to sit for the amount of time indicated on the package.
Wipe the couch cushions thoroughly with a clean white cloth, and allow them to air dry for at least 15 minutes before placing them back onto the couch.
Tips and warnings
- Wipe up any spills right away with a white or light-coloured absorbent towel.
- Test a hidden area for colour fastness before using any cleaning products on your couch cushions.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for