How to Get Cat Urine Smell Out of a Sofa
cat 3 image by Dragan Saponjic from Fotolia.com
Cat urine contains ammonia, which is what gives it such a distinct odour. If your cat urinates on the sofa, the smell can permeate the entire room. The odour lingers if the cat urine is not cleaned up promptly. You can remove cat-urine smell from either a fabric or leather sofa with common household products.
Even old stains and odour can be removed.
Soak up fresh cat urine with rags. Blot the spot rather than rubbing so the urine is not spread farther. Continue blotting until no more urine transfers from the sofa to the rags. If the urine spot is old, use a black light to locate the urine stain.
- Cat urine contains ammonia, which is what gives it such a distinct odour.
- Blot the spot rather than rubbing so the urine is not spread farther.
Fill a clean spray bottle with 1 part white vinegar and 2 parts warm water. Spray the affected area of the couch.
Blot the area again with a clean rag to remove the moisture from the vinegar spray. Continue blotting until no more moisture transfers from the couch to the rag.
- Fill a clean spray bottle with 1 part white vinegar and 2 parts warm water.
- Blot the area again with a clean rag to remove the moisture from the vinegar spray.
Mix 443ml hydrogen peroxide, 2 tbsp baking soda, and 1 tbsp liquid soap into a plastic bucket. Stir the ingredients gently to combine. The reaction from the baking soda and peroxide will cause fizzing if stirred too briskly.
Dip a rag into the cleaning solution. Scrub the affected area of the couch with the solution.
Rinse the sofa with a rag and warm water. Blot with a rag to lift excess moisture from the sofa.
Sprinkle the sofa with a generous amount of baking soda to continue deodorising the area. Let the baking soda sit overnight before vacuuming up the powder.
- First test the cleaning solution on an inconspicuous area of the sofa to check for any colour or fabric changes.
- Black lights can be purchased at most large retail chains, home improvement centres and online retailers. Some hand-held black lights cost under £6. You can also buy black-light bulbs to screw into a lamp.
Kimbry Parker has been writing since 1998 and has published content on various websites. Parker has experience writing on a variety of topics such as health, parenting, home improvement and decorating. She is a graduate of Purdue University with a Bachelor of Arts in organizational communication.