Metal roofs are recognised for their structural stability, cost efficiency and fire resistance. Although these roofs are durable and long-lasting, they are not completely impervious to damage from harsh weather, lack of maintenance and deterioration. Minor rust patches and small holes in a metal roof can allow water to leak into your shed. Promptly make repairs to preserve the shed's structural integrity and appearance. Metal shed roofs can last for several decades with proper care.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Wire brush
- Roofing mesh
- Metal shears
- Urethane roof cement
Scrub the damaged portion of the roof with a wire brush to loosen corrosion, dirt and old roofing materials. Brush off the loosened debris with a broom. Make sure the area is completely clean and dry before proceeding.
Cut two identical square patches out of roofing mesh, using metal shears. Make the patches large enough to overlap the hole or rusted area by at least two inches on all sides.
Slather an even layer of urethane roof cement around the damaged metal, using a trowel. Apply the roof cement according to the manufacturer's directions.
Press a mesh patch into the roof cement. Spread an even layer of roof cement over the mesh patch, using the trowel. Press the top layer of cement down to bond with the bottom layer of cement through the mesh.
Press the other mesh patch into the roof cement. Cover the mesh patch with a final layer of roof cement, using the trowel. Work the cement into the patch.
Allow the roof cement to dry according to the manufacturer's directions.
Tips and warnings
- Apply roof cement to the roof's seams and flashing edges to prevent leaks.
- Always wear the appropriate safety gear for the job: slip-resistant shoes, work gloves and safety glasses.
- Always use caution while on the roof to prevent slipping or falling.
- Use roofing products recommended by the roof manufacturer or installer to prevent causing further damage or voiding the roof's warranty.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for