Exhaust baffles are used on motorcycles to regulate sound produced by the engine, as well as in the build up of backup pressure. Some drivers, however, chose to remove their baffles to rev faster or allow the bike to make louder noises. The baffle is generally made of a chambered section filled with fibreglass. To remove it, the chamber plates need to be cut open and removed, which is a common motorcycle modification.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Power drill
- Drill extension
- Drill bit
- Hammer and chisel
Remove the exhaust pipe cover from the end of the exhaust system to allow easier access to the metal pipes the baffles are attached to. There are generally one to three exhaust pipes, but some motorcycles may have more.
Cut off the cone section of the metal pipes using the hacksaw. The cone part will not be reattached and can be thrown out. If you are not going to install a new exhaust tip, sand down the edges of the exhaust pipe for a smooth finish.
Attach a drill bit to a power drill that is slightly smaller than the exhaust pipes. Drill holes into the stubs of the pipes that were cut off until the drill moves through the metal plate.
Use the drill extension to allow the drill to reach further into the exhaust system to fully remove the baffles.
Reattach the bit to continue to drill through each of the pipes until the drill bit has reached the end of the exhaust system. Knock the jagged edges remaining from the end of the baffle flat using the hammer and chisel.
Clean the inside of the exhaust pipe before reattaching the cover onto the exhaust pipe. Make sure it is firmly attached so the vibration caused by the motorcycle will not affect it.
Tips and warnings
- Black spray paint can be applied along the inside of the exhaust pipe for a finished look, rather than a jagged one.
- There are laws and regulations set up by local and state governments concerning noise and emission standards. Check these laws before modifying the motorcycle to make sure you are within legal rights.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for