Plyometric exercises involve jumping, landing, direction-changes and other explosive movements to improve agility, speed and conditioning. The plyometric box is a tool that can be used in these movements. Commercial plyo boxes can cost up to £130, but not much separates a plyo box from any other wooden box. Instead of purchasing a plyo box at a fitness store, make one yourself from two-by-fours and plywood.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Pine two-by-fours, 12
- 1-inch plywood piece
- Box of 1 1/2-inch wood screws
Design the measurements for your box depending on what exercises you plan to perform with it. Draw the dimensions out on graph paper.
Buy pine wood two-by-fours from a local home improvement store in the lengths of your desired dimensions.The length of the two-by-fours will vary depending on how high you want your box to stand, as well as how big you want the base and top surface of the box to be.
Build the base of the box. Attach four two-by-fours to make a square with wood glue, then with wood screws.
Attach two-by-fours vertically on the base at each corner. Use wood glue and then wood screws.
Build the top surface of the box as you did the base with four two-by-fours. Glue and screw the top support to the vertical supports.
Place the plywood surface on top of the top support. If it doesn't fit, trace the proper measurement with a pen while the plywood is resting on the top support and make cuts.
Glue and screw a cross support two-by-four on each side of the box. Place them diagonally across each side. Alternate directions of the diagonal supports for stability.
Nail the plywood top to the top support two-by-fours. Nail at each corner minimally, and in more locations for more support.
Tips and warnings
- Using two-by-fours for the sides and base will make the box sturdier than using plywood for all sides. If you want to give the box a closed-off look, you can attach a piece of plywood to each side of the box.
- Test the box for stability before using for vigorous exercises.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for