Candles can create a romantic or festive atmosphere when lit and placed on the hearth of a stone fireplace. However, when candles drip or splatter, the wax will harden and stick to the surface, creating an unsightly build-up. Since candle wax can attract dust and dirt, removing it from the fireplace as soon as it is discovered can help keep the problem from becoming worse.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Kitchen towel
- Brown paper bag (optional)
- White vinegar
Turn on a clothing iron, and place it on a medium setting. Allow the iron to warm to the correct temperature.
Place a kitchen towel or brown paper bag over the wax. Hold it firmly against the stone's surface.
Set the warm iron on top of the towel or bag. Continue to hold the towel firmly against the surface, allowing the heat from the iron to melt the wax. The wax will melt and absorb into the towel or bag.
Check the wax to see if the towel or bag has absorbed all of it. Repeat the process on a clean portion of the towel or bag until you have removed as much wax as possible.
Pour a small amount of white vinegar onto a damp sponge, and wipe the surface area to remove any remaining wax. Allow the surface to dry.
Tips and warnings
- Although the wax of a candle is generally simple to remove from a stone fireplace, if the candle has a dye mixed into the wax, the dye may leave a stain. In some cases, this stain may get into the porous surface of the stone, and become permanent. Use coasters or drip-plates to prevent future spills from occurring.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for