Deep fat frying is a method of cooking in which food items are submerged in liquid fat or cooking oil. Considered a method of dry heat cooking, a deep fat fryer can cook everything from fried chicken to French fries and doughnuts. Although the liquid fat in a deep fat fryer can often be used for more than one heating, it does occasionally need to be drained and the unit cleaned.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Scraper (optional)
- Dish soap
Turn the fryer off and unplug it. Allow the liquid fat inside the unit to cool to a temperature of at least 65.6 degrees Celsius before you attempt to move the fryer to drain it.
Carry the deep fat fryer to the sink to aid in cleanup.
Place a bowl in the sink to capture the liquid fat as you drain it.
Tip the deep fat fryer on its side and pour the oil into the bowl.
Remove the basket support screen from the bottom of the fryer. The support screen is a metal stand that the basket sits on when it is in use. Your fryer may or may not have one depending on its size and model.
Remove oil residue or build-up from the sides of the fryer with a spatula or scraper. Dispose of the build-up in the trash to avoid clogging the sink.
Fill the deep fat fryer with dish soap and hot water. Allow it to soak for 10 to 15 minutes.
Use a sponge to thoroughly clean the inside and outside of the fryer. Rinse the fryer, avoiding getting any electrical components wet, and allow it to dry.
Tips and warnings
- Some deep fat fryers are equipped with a drain valve to allow for easy oil drainage. Refer to the owner's manual for specific information regarding the opening and closing of the valve on your deep fat fryer.
- Do not immerse the deep fryer, cord or plug-in portion of the unit in water as this may damage the fryer or cause an electrical shock when it is plugged back in. Instead, clean the outer portion of the fryer with a damp dishcloth or sponge.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for