Embossing foil into card stock or other art work will give it that extra touch. You can emboss with foil using regular embossing tools. All you do is layer a piece of foil over your card stock before you pass it through the embossing machine. If you don't have an embossing machine, you can use an embossing template that yields similar results.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Card stock
- Craft scissors
- Embossing foil or heavy duty aluminium foil
- Embossing folder
- Embossing template
- 2 cutting surfaces
- Embossing machine (Sizzix , Cuttlebug) optional
Cut the card stock to a rectangle of the desired size.
Place a sheet of foil on the work surface with the shiny face down. Place the card over it.
Cut the foil allowing a centimetre extra all around the card stock.
Fold the extra foil inward onto the card stock. Make sure the card and foil are laying flat on the surface, to prevent wrinkles. Do this on all four sides. This will fix the foil securely on the card stock.
Place the card stock with the foil into the embossing folder. Make sure the card is placed evenly and is covered by the folder. Inside the folder, one side will have the design indented; the other side will have it raised. The card stock should be placed with the foil facing up on the raised side.
Place the embossing folder between the two cutting pads. Follow the instructions for your embossing machine. Place it on the platform provided with your embossing machine. Crank it through the embossing machine.
If you don't have an embossing machine, place the card stock foil side down onto your embossing template and apply pressure the back of the card stock to achieve your desired look.
Open the folder and take out the card stock carefully without damaging the foil. Leave the card stock in the foil for extra strength.
Tips and warnings
- Handle the foil carefully while cutting it. Foil tears easily.
- Sizzix and Cuttlebug are two popular brands for embossing machines and related products
- For embossing on a shape other than a rectangle, use templates to cut out the shape.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for