According to a 2008 press release by Kensington Computer Products Group, a company that delivers smart made simple™ computing accessories like ComboSaver combination notebook locks, over 600,000 laptop computers are stolen each year. A laptop lock is a portable notebook accessory that comes with a self-coiling cable designed to securely anchor laptops to sturdy surfaces and prevent laptop theft. You can prevent your laptop from being stolen by resetting your laptop lock combination, especially if the lock is new with a preset code such as 0000.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Locate your laptop lock 's combination windows, wheels/dials and reset button. The positioning of laptop lock controls on laptop lock bodies varies depending on the lock model.
Rotate the lock combination wheels to your current lock code. Your lock code combination appears in the combination windows.
Adjust the position of the reset button. Use a flathead screwdriver to push in and rotate the reset button screw grooves to the reset position, usually 90 degrees clockwise from the vertical position. Press the reset button and hold it down if your laptop lock does not have screw grooves.
Enter a new lock code. Rotate the lock combination wheels/dials to reset your code.
Save the new code. Release the reset button or rotate the reset screw grooves back to their original position. Ensure the reset/locking button depresses completely.
Tips and warnings
- Write down the reset lock combination in a secure and easy-to-remember place.
- If you release the pressed reset button before you have completed entering the new lock code, you will save a lock code that you did not specify. Release the lock reset button only after you have entered the complete code.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for