How to Replace a PlayStation 3 Fuse
fuse image by Alison Bowden from <a href='http://www.fotolia.com'>Fotolia.com</a>
The Sony PlayStation 3, or PS3, has been know to have problems with the fuse tripping after an electrical problem. A blown fuse renders the PS3 unable to function and needs to be replaced. Replacing the fuse requires opening the PS3 and removing several components to access the fuse.
Disconnect the PS3 from the main power. Turn the unit over and pry off the rubber feet with a flat head screwdriver. Remove the screws concealed beneath with a Torx screwdriver.
- The Sony PlayStation 3, or PS3, has been know to have problems with the fuse tripping after an electrical problem.
- Turn the unit over and pry off the rubber feet with a flat head screwdriver.
Turn the unit right-side up. Slide the top of the unit to the left. Once it is as far as it will go, lift it off. Remove the seven screws underneath. Release the clips at the back end of the console with a small screwdriver. Remove the cover.
Remove the screws around the power supply, which is a silver box on left. Lift out the power supply. Remove the main plug from the unit at the same time.
Pull the fuse from the power supply. Insert the new fuse. Reattach the main plug to the power supply. Replace the power supply in the console and secure it in place with the screws.
- Remove the screws around the power supply, which is a silver box on left.
- Pull the fuse from the power supply.
Re-engage the internal cover and replace all removed screws and clips. Slide the console top back on and secure it in place. Replace the rubber feet. Plug the console back into the mains and turn it on to test the fuse replacement.
- Perform the procedure in a dry, well-lighted area with no static risk --- no carpet.
- Opening the PS3 voids the warranty from Sony. So you might want to take the console to an official dealer to replace the fuse.
Mark Slingo has been a professional writer since 2008. His work has appeared in Forward, ScubaGlobe, Scuba Jedi, "Pattaya Mail" and other publications. Slingo has a Bachelor of Arts in politics from the University of Newcastle and a diploma in journalism from the British College of Journalism.