Tie-dyeing was a funky fad in the 1960s and continues to be popular today. While the many designs and patterns can be intricate, the basic technique for successful tie-dyeing remains the same. Tie-dyeing bandannas is a popular birthday party activity or summer camp craft for children. With proper care, the bandannas will provide years of use.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- White bandannas
- Elastic bands
- Rubber gloves
- Dye packets in various colours
- Stainless steel pots
- Warm water
- Stainless steel spoon
- Drying rack or clothes dryer
Lay the bandanna flat on hard surface.
Grasp the centre of the fabric and pull up so the rest of the bandanna drapes from this point.
Secure an elastic band around the bandanna centre roughly 1 inch from the top, making sure the band is as tightly wound as possible.
Wind more elastic bands snugly along the length of the remaining fabric at 1 inch intervals.
Fill as many stainless steel pots with warm water as you need to make individual colours.
Put rubber gloves on your hands before opening dye packets.
Dissolve dye packets in the individual pots to create all of the colours you desire.
Stir the dye with a stainless steel spoon to distribute the colour even throughout the water.
Dip sections of the bandanna into individual colours of dye roughly 1 inch at a time, making sure to really saturate each section. Gently squeeze out any excess liquid.
Allow bandanna to air dry for 24 hours with the elastic bands in place.
Cut the elastic bands with scissors and remove them from the bandanna.
Flatten the bandanna and dry completely either on a drying rack or in a clothes dryer.
Tips and warnings
- Wash bandannas in cold water with like colours to avoid excess dye staining other garments.
- Do not use enamel-lined pots; they will absorb the dye.
- Touching the dye without gloves may temporarily stain your hands.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for