Wall niches come in all shapes and while they can be challenging, they can also liven up an entire area in your home. They are grand showplaces for special pieces in your home. The primary idea when working with niches is allowing them to stand out on their own. Your niche already draws attention architecturally, so all you need to do is dress it up a bit. From artwork to furniture, you can decorate a niche to add a stunning element to your home.
- Skill level:
Paint the back wall a different colour than your walls. This option will work for large or small niches, and you can work with any colour you have in your decor. Select a colour that coordinates with the objects you will be displaying in the niche.
Cover the back wall of the niche with fabric. This idea works well in large niches and it's best to go with a colour that is within the same hue as the colour on your walls. While the fabric is noticeably different, it is not so loud that it detracts from everything else around it.
Place a piece of furniture in the niche. If your niche is large and deep enough, place a sofa, chair or table in it. Make sure you have enough room on all sides of the niche for guests to stand up and sit down.
Hang a painting or other work of art. If you don't want to add shelving to your niche, hang one piece of art or a collection of pieces for a dramatic look.
Install a flat screen television. If the niche is large enough and positioned in the right living space, a niche is the perfect place for the television.
Display antiques in smaller niches. If your niche is small and open, you may want to install small shelves to display a collection of art.
Tips and warnings
- If you have a niche situated in a dark area of a room, lighting can help draw attention to your display. Recessed lighting is one option but spotlights often work well, too. Experiment with what works best with your decor
- Add trim around your niche to attract attention. This can be painted with a complementary colour that emphasises your display.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for