HP Presario C500 is a laptop that, like most other laptops, requires a clean, functioning fan in order to work properly. If your fan is too full of dust to function properly or needs to be replaced because it is no longer working, then your computer could be in danger of overheating and crashing. Instead of having to purchase a new laptop because your C500's fan has failed, remove it and clean the fan or replace it with a new one.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Phillips-head screwdriver
Turn off your computer and unplug all the cords and cables from it, even the power cable.
Turn the laptop over and remove the battery, then remove all the screws at the bottom of the computer with a Phillips-head screwdriver.
Remove the two face plates from the bottom of the computer and you'll see the hard drive and RAM below. The face plates will come out easily once the screws are removed.
Remove the two screws holding the hard drive in place and then lift the hard drive out.
Remove the screw found directly below the hard drive.
Turn the laptop over again and pop off the keyboard. If all the screws at the bottom of the computer where removed, then the keyboard will come right out.
Remove all the screws underneath the keyboard and case and then lift the case enough to access the fan assembly in your HP Presario C500.
Unhook the cable coming from the fan into the motherboard and remove the screws holding the fan in place, then pop the fan out of the computer.
Tips and warnings
- Taking your C500 apart will invalidate your warranty so. If you have a warranty, you should contact HP for technical support instead.
- Be careful not to yank the keyboard all the way from the laptop when you remove it because it is tethered to the motherboard by two thin cables.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for