Meringue has a short lifespan because of its ingredients. This commonly used pie ingredient consists of sugar and the white portion of eggs, so despite the great taste of the pies you make with meringue, it usually does not do well if you keep it for more than 24 to 48 hours.
- Skill level:
Keep your meringue outside of your refrigerator at temperature of no more than 22.2 degrees Celsius. Keep it in a counter location that does not get in the way of other kitchen items.
Put the meringue in a place that does not contain excessive heat or cold air. For example, you do not want to put your meringue next to a microwave oven, hotplate or window that you keep open to ventilate your property. Remember that these elements can cause your meringue to deteriorate more quickly.
Put an upside-down plate over your food. This allows the meringue to last for about 48 hours before it starts to deteriorate.
Tips and warnings
- If you desire to cook meringue, you can perform a number of tasks to help it erode less quickly. Cook with egg whites no warmer than the temperature of your kitchen, insert a tiny portion of cornstarch into your creation and make sure your meringue only browns a slight bit.
- Do not put your meringue in the freezer because this causes it to erode more quickly.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for