Keeping an Xbox 360 or an Xbox cool is a key part of keeping it running without any issues. An overheated console can lead to many issues, including cracked solder and melted parts. Heat also plays a role in the famed "Red Ring of Death," a common hardware failure among early Xbox 360 consoles. The ideal operating temperature for either machine is between 5 and 35 degrees Celsius, and that temperature can be checked fairly easily using the same method with both consoles.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Infrared heat tester
- Xbox 360
- Xbox 360 temperature specs (can be found in Xbox 360 manual)
Turn on the Xbox 360 console with a game or DVD in the disc drive and let it run for about five minutes. This will test the temperature as if the game console was running normally.
Hold the infrared heat sensor up against the side of both of the Xbox 360's grey ventilation grills and take the temperature.
Check the temperature again in approximately 15 minutes. If the temperatures exceed 35 degrees Celsius as specified by Microsoft, you may need to invest in an intercooler to maximise the console's performance.
Tips and warnings
- If the Xbox 360 is too hot, move it to a more open area and place it on a glass surface or point a fan towards it. Another option is to use an intercooler, which attaches to an Xbox 360 and uses fans to cool the console by several degrees. Some advanced intercoolers, which can be purchased from most electronics retailers, even have LCD thermometers attached.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for