How to Reset an Airbag Light on a VW Transporter
airbag image by Dimitar Atanasov from Fotolia.com
When the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) light illuminates on your Volkswagen Transporter, it indicates a problem with the airbag that should be addressed immediately. If the light is on, it could mean that the airbag will accidentally deploy as you are driving.
Or it could mean that the airbag won't deploy at all, even if you get into an accident. You need an SRS scan tool to read the airbag trouble codes and reset the computer. This will turn off the airbag light and enable the VW's airbag to function properly.
Put the key into the ignition and turn it to the "On" position. Verify that the SRS light is illuminated on the instrument panel either as a solid or flashing light. Turn off the vehicle.
- When the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) light illuminates on your Volkswagen Transporter, it indicates a problem with the airbag that should be addressed immediately.
- This will turn off the airbag light and enable the VW's airbag to function properly.
Locate the Data Link Connector (DLC) under the steering wheel. Plug the SRS scan tool into this port. The port has 16 pins. Turn the vehicle to the "On" position again.
Wait for the scan tool to display an error code. Look up the code in the scan tool's booklet to understand what the code means.
Unplug the SRS scan tool and turn off the vehicle. Fix the problem with the SRS system as identified by the error code.
- Locate the Data Link Connector (DLC) under the steering wheel.
- Unplug the SRS scan tool and turn off the vehicle.
Repeat step 2 and then enter the error code into the scan tool to reset the VW's computer.
- "VW Transporter (82-90) Service and Repair Manual (Haynes Service and Repair Manuals);" Haynes; 1998
- You can purchase an SRS scan tool from your dealership or any auto parts retailer.
Katie B. Marsh is a self-published author, article writer, screenwriter, and inventor. After graduating from South Coast College of Court Reporting, she worked as a congressional and freelance court reporter for eight years. She began her writing career in 2005. Her content may be found on amazon.com, booksforsharing.com, and ezinearticles.com. She completed her first screenplay in October 2009.