Baby buntings are snuggly one-piece hooded baby outfits with two armholes and a sack-like bottom for the legs. Baby buntings keep babies warm during cold weather. Buntings are not difficult to make and can be decorated with ribbons and colourful fabrics. The fabric used for buntings should be soft and washable. You can even make buntings with lightweight fabrics for warmer weather.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 3 feet by 5 feet wool duffel or any fabric similar in softness and strength
- 3 feet by 4 feet closely woven cotton broadcloth
- Pattern for bunting
- Sewing chalk
- Needle and thread or sewing machine
- 1 1/2 feet fabric hook-and-loop fastener or zipper
Download a pattern for a baby bunting online. You can use your own pattern if you want.
Cut out the pattern pieces and lay them out on the cotton broadcloth. Pin the pattern pieces to the broadcloth.
Cut out the patterns for the two front pieces, one back piece and one hood piece. Set the cut cotton cloth pieces aside.
Pin the pattern pieces to the duffel cloth and trace the outline with sewing chalk. Cut out all the pieces from the cloth, making sure to allow an excess of 1/2 inch for the seam.
Use a running stitch to sew the pieces of duffel cloth together, following the pattern. Sew the two front pieces of duffel to each side of the back piece. Sew the hood onto the back piece. Make sure to sew the right sides of the fabric. Sew the cotton broadcloth in the same way.
Lay the sewn duffel cloth with the wrong side facing up. Lay the sewn broadcloth over the duffel cloth, making sure that the ½-inch seam of the duffel cloth is seen. Fold in the ½-inch seam and sew it on the broadcloth using a running stitch.
Sew the fabric hook-and-loop fastener to the front pieces. You can add decorations or embroidery to the finished baby bunting.
Tips and warnings
- Use old one-piece pyjamas to make buntings by taking out the separation for the legs and stitching across.
- Never use bunting in place of a snowsuit in very cold weather.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for