Mold is a fungus that grows rapidly in a wet environment. While moulds can be helpful to people when used to create medications, moulds found in your house can be dangerous because of the chemicals and spores moulds release. If you find mould around your wood windows, you should take steps to remove the mould immediately. Mold on damp wood will continue to grow and will cause wood root if the problem is not solved. More importantly, mould can create health issues with those who live in the affected area if it is not removed.
Evaluate the area covered with mould. The mould may appear black, blue, purple, and even white, orange or red. If you question whether it is mould, drop one drop of bleach onto the spot. If it loses colour, it is most likely mould.
Vacuum as much of the mould off of the wood window as possible. Use a HEPA filter in your vacuum cleaner to trap as many mould spores as possible.
Mix 1/2 cup dish soap with one gallon of hot water.
Wipe the wood with the soapy water using a disposable rag. After you have washed the wood, wipe it with a dry disposable rag. Dry the area as much as possible. Repeat on all areas with mould.
Look closely to all areas affected by the mould. If you see any remaining mould, use a mixture of one cup bleach to one gallon hot water and repeat step 4 using the bleach and water mixture.
Review the area after the wood has completely dried. If you see any remaining areas of mould or discolouration, sand the wood with sandpaper. Immediately vacuum the wood. If you are sanding, everyone should be out of the area until the area is cleaned.
Replace any wood that remains damaged or discoloured.
If the mould has spread over large portions of the wood windows and is on multiple windows, consider calling in a specialist.
Always wear safety glasses, rubber gloves and a dust mask before trying to clean mould. Mold can be dangerous. If you have any concerns, consult a local mould specialist to evaluate the situation. Never mix bleach with ammonia.