How to Get a Musty Smell Out of Rattan Furniture
Rattan is a type of woven wooden furniture, similar to wicker. When it's exposed to damp conditions, mould and mildew spores develop, causing a musty smell. To get rid of the odour, you must get rid of the fungus. Mold and mildew removal supplies and techniques remove microscopic odour-causing spores.
Vacuum the rattan furniture to remove mould and mildew spores from the surface. Use the upholstery attachment to get into grooves and woven areas of the furniture. Throw away the used vacuum bag to prevent fungus from transferring to other surfaces.
- Rattan is a type of woven wooden furniture, similar to wicker.
- Use the upholstery attachment to get into grooves and woven areas of the furniture.
scrubbing the blues image by emmepi from Fotolia.com
Mix two capfuls of disinfectant cleaner and 1 gallon of warm water in a bucket. Dip a soft-bristled scrub brush into the solution and scrub all surfaces of the furniture. Rinse the scrub brush frequently and continue to scrub the rattan.
sun rays from under cloud covering the sun blue sky background image by Alx from Fotolia.com
Wet clean cloths with plain water and rinse the disinfectant cleaner off the rattan. Place the furniture in direct sunlight to speed up drying and to kill any remaining mould and mildew spores.
Sprinkle baking soda over the rattan furniture to absorb any remaining musty odour. Leave the powder on the furniture overnight. Remove the baking soda with the vacuum.
- Mix two capfuls of disinfectant cleaner and 1 gallon of warm water in a bucket.
- Dip a soft-bristled scrub brush into the solution and scrub all surfaces of the furniture.
- Dry off outdoor rattan furniture after a rain or place it in the sun to prevent mould and mildew growth.
- Remove cushions from outdoor rattan furniture when not in use so moisture isn't trapped in the cushions.
- Dust or vacuum rattan furniture regularly.
Mary Ylisela is a former teacher with a Bachelor of Arts in elementary education and mathematics. She has been a writer since 1996, specializing in business, fitness and education. Prior to teaching, Ylisela worked as a certified fitness instructor and a small-business owner.