Ringworm is a very contagious skin disease caused by a fungus. It spreads easily between animals and humans. Although it rarely causes serious illness, it is itchy and can cause fur or hair loss. Ringworm fungus can live on many surfaces, including wood floors, and may survive for weeks, or even months, if the area is left untreated. This means the potential for re-contamination is high if you do not take measures to disinfect these surfaces. Bleach is one common product used to kill ringworm spore, but bleach can lighten wood, so you may choose to use an alternative from a pet supply store.
- Ringworm is a very contagious skin disease caused by a fungus.
- Bleach is one common product used to kill ringworm spore, but bleach can lighten wood, so you may choose to use an alternative from a pet supply store.
Vacuum the entire wood floor. Use a vacuum cleaner without a beater bar to prevent damaging the floor.
Mix a kennel antifungal floor cleaner with water in a bucket, at a dilution recommended on the label.
Wet your mop in the bucket. Wring out the mop and spread the solution over the wood floor.
Wait for a few minutes -- check the label for recommendations -- to allow the ingredients to kill ringworm fungal spores.
Rinse the floor, if indicated by the product, with clean water. Wipe the floor with towels to facilitate faster drying.
Pet supply stores usually carry kennel cleaners that contain antibacterial and antifungal ingredients. Most contain alternatives to bleach and should not harm wood floors -- always check the label before using, however. If you don't care if the wood floor gets lightened by bleach, use it instead -- mix 1 cup of bleach to 10 cups of water in the bucket. Mop this over the floor and wait for 10 minutes before rinsing it with clean water.