How to Change a Foreign Electrical Plug to a British Plug

Written by dane gregos
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How to Change a Foreign Electrical Plug to a British Plug
An adaptor will have the British plug on one side and holes for your plug on the other side. (plug image by Alison Bowden from

In the rush to pack and catch your plane, it can be easy to overlook the accommodations your electrical appliances will need when travelling overseas. It is important to ensure you will be able to use your electrical appliances in other countries such as the United Kingdom. Adapters and converters will be needed to safely use your electrical appliance in a British outlet.

Skill level:
Moderately Easy

Things you need

  • Adaptor
  • Converter

Show MoreHide


  1. 1

    Determine your plug type and voltage rating. Most North American plugs have two flat prongs, and an occasional third, grounding prong, and are intended for outlets with a voltage rating of 110 to 120. The "World Electric Guide" is a helpful online resource that can help you determine the type of plug your equipment has, if you don't already know. (See Resources) Plugs in other countries vary in shape and size, but with the exception of Japan and some north African nations, most electrical sockets in countries outside North America deliver between 220 and 240 volts.

    How to Change a Foreign Electrical Plug to a British Plug
    Most North American plugs have two flat prongs. (Electric Plug image by JJAVA from
  2. 2

    Purchase an adaptor. An adaptor is placed on the end of your plug to match it to the British electrical socket. Your plug should fit into the holes on one side of the adaptor, and the British-type prongs should be on the other side. Beware, however: An adaptor does not convert voltage. If your appliance is not rated for British voltage, don't plug it in yet; you will need more.

  3. 3

    Purchase a power converter. Most U.S. appliances will require an electrical converter as well as the adaptor. The converter will allow you to safely use a 110-volt North American appliance in a 220 to 240-volt British electrical socket. If your appliance is rated to handle the higher voltage, a converter is not needed and you may only need the adaptor.

Tips and warnings

  • Some power converters may have an appropriate adaptor built in.
  • If you are already in the U.K., many British stores that sell electrical appliances will sell commonly used converters and adaptors.
  • Be sure to check the wattage rating on your electrical appliance and compare it to the power converter. Some converters only work with a certain wattage rating.
  • If your appliance is not rated to handle 220 volts, it is important to use the power converter. Allowing 220 to 240 volts of energy to flow into your appliance could permanently damage it or start a fire.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.