A hippie or Bohemian-styled bag is not only practical because it's roomy, but it can also serve as a fashionable accessory. A hippie bag can accessorise jeans and a tank top by day, and a vintage sun dress by night. Making your own hippie bag at home provides a creative task that makes use of your old fabric pieces.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Industrial-strength fabric adhesive
- Fabric squares (24, measuring 5 by 5 inches each)
- Roll of hemp cord
Fold the edges of each fabric square inward by 1/8 of an inch.
Squeeze a small amount of industrial-strength fabric adhesive to one of the folded edges of one of the fabric squares.
Connect the glued edge to the folded edge of another square. Place a square on each side of the one you just glued in this manner.
Piece together all of the squares to create one large patchwork square.
Cut 12 strips of hemp cord, measuring 20 inches each.
Group the strips of cord into four groups of three cords. Braid each group of cords together tightly.
Group the four braids together and braid them into a single hemp cord.
Squeeze a line of industrial-strength fabric adhesive to each side edge of the large patchwork square.
Fold the square in half from the bottom up to adhere the edges. This creates a wide patchwork pouch.
Squeeze a dot of the glue on each end of the braided hemp cord.
Insert each glued end of the cord to the inner sides of the pouch. Place the glued ends about an inch down into the sides. This makes a sturdy shoulder strap and completes the hippie bag.
Tips and warnings
- Select discarded clothing and cut them up into squares for a textured and varied effect. This also works as an eco-friendly way to construct your hippie bag, eliminating the need to buy new fabrics.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for