The Daleks are the arch enemy of TV's Dr Who. Building a Dalek from a compost bin is a good way to encourage kids to recycle and become greener. The bin will still function as its main purpose, to rot down organic materials to provide compost for the garden, but the kids can also have fun making and decorating the garden Dalek with inexpensive household items. Compost bins are on sale in every hardware or D.I.Y. shop or some recycle centres give them away free. A round shaped, plastic bin will be cheaper and more practical for gluing on attachments.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Compost bin
- Sink plunger
- Jam jar lids
- Silver foil
- Paper cups
Place the compost bin where required in the garden. It is best to keep it away from the house as the smell of rotting food will be unpleasant and can attract rodents.
Stick the jam jar lids in rows down the outside of the bin and allow glue to dry. This will look like the Daleks' force field spheres.
Attach the paper cups to the top of the lid to look like the Daleks ears.
Decorate the bin with strips of silver foil between the jam jar lids to provide a space age effect.
Slide the handle of the plunger between the lid and the base of the compost bin so that the rubber end sticks out and looks like the Daleks eye.
Fill the compost bin with organic waste.
Tips and warnings
- A small "U" shape cut in the bottom of the lid may be required to accommodate the plunger handle.
- Use wire mesh at the bottom of the bin to keep waste from oozing out.
- Site the bin on level ground to prevent rodents entering from underneath.
- Ensuring the bin lid is closed properly will prevent rodents from eating the waste food.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for