Making low fat ice cream at home is an easy way to satisfy a sweet craving for those watching their diet or living with special dietary needs. No special equipment is required to make ice cream at home, just a freezer and a stand mixer, and once you learn the basic recipe , you can alter it with different flavours to suit any taste.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1 pint low-fat half and half
- 2 tsp gelatin
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 1 vanilla bean
- 4 tbsp sugar
- Freezer-safe bowl
- Ice cream churn, standing mixer or large food processor
Slice open the vanilla bean lengthwise, scraping the interior with the flat edge of a knife. Place the black seeds into a bowl.
Add all ingredients to the vanilla bean seeds and whisk. Continue whisking until ingredients are well combined and the sugar dissolves thoroughly. Cover with cling wrap, and place in the freezer until frozen solid.
Scrape the frozen ingredients into the churn, standing mixer or food processor. Mix on a low speed until creamy. Return ingredients to the freezer safe bowl, and refreeze.
Repeat step three. Freezing and remixing produces a creamier ice cream product, despite the lower fat content.
Tips and warnings
- Make chocolate ice cream by adding 2 tbsp cocoa powder.
- You can substitute evaporated milk for half and half.
- Use a sugar substitute in place of the sugar.
- Use caution whenever handling knives.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for