A mite infestation in a chicken coop can be a serious problem. It causes stress and discomfort for the chickens and for other animals in the area. If you discover that one of your chickens has mites, it is important to dust the chicken and the area it lives in as soon as possible. Dusting chickens for mites is often a better solution than using harsh chemical sprays, and you can take steps to ensure that the mites don't come back.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Livestock/poultry dust or Sevin dust
Put on your gloves before you begin working with chickens and dust. This helps protect you from scratches if the chicken struggles.
Grab the chicken by the legs firmly in one hand.
Flip the chicken upside down. This will not hurt the chicken and is the best way to ensure you are able to dust in the spots that mites tend to gather most.
Sprinkle the dust all over the chicken. Take care to avoid the eyes, nose and mouth. Make sure to dust well under the wings, legs, and around the vent area, as these are the places mites often target.
Flip the chicken back over and sprinkle dust on any remaining areas that may have been hard to reach while it was upside down.
Dust the chicken again in a week to kill any mites that might have hatched after the first dusting.
Dusting the Chicken
Clean all of the old bedding out of the chicken coop.
Sprinkle a layer of dust on the ground of the coop.
Place fresh bedding in the coop.
Clean and dust the coop again in a week to kill any mites that might have hatched after the first dusting.
Dusting the Living Space
Tips and warnings
- You may want to have someone help when dusting chickens. It is easier to have one person hold the chicken while the other dusts it.
- If one chicken has mites, it is likely that other chickens will have them. To completely prevent a mite infestation, it will most likely be necessary to dust all the chickens in the living space.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for