Micro SD cards are small, secure digital (SD) memory cards that provide storage to an array of devices such as mobile phones, PDAs and cameras. Micro SD cards may be secured with a password to protect the contents of the card. However, as users will do, occasionally a micro SD card password will be forgotten or lost. Password recovery procedures can save the user the time and hassle of reformatting the micro SD card, which will also result in data loss.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Micro SD card with card adaptor
- SD card reader installed on a computer
Insert the micro SD card into a card reader on the computer.
Right-click the Windows "Start" button and select "Explore" to open Windows Explorer. Navigate to the micro SD card, which will be listed as a removable drive.
Click on the micro SD card drive in the left navigation panel to show the files in the right pane of Windows Explorer.
Click the "System" folder to show the contents of the folder in the right pane. Locate a file named "MMCSTORE."
Right-click the "MMCSTORE" file, and select "Copy" from the context menu.
Right-click on the desktop and click "Paste" to copy the MMCSTORE file to the desktop for editing.
Right-click again on the file and select "Open With..". Choose Notepad from the list of available programs. The MMCSTORE is a text file, which will be readable using Notepad.
View the text in the MMCSTORE file. The password will appear in plain text within the file.
Remove the micro SD card from the card reader and insert the micro SD card into the device.
Access the micro SD card using the mobile device and enter the recovered password, when prompted.
Tips and warnings
- If the password recovery process does not work or if the System folder is not accessible, reformatting the micro SD card will remove all password protection from the card. However, all data will also be lost.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for