Blocking contacts on a mobile telephone enables users to avoid incoming calls from specific numbers. Generally speaking, this feature is not set up through the actual device but through the service provider. AT&T, the current exclusive wireless carrier for the iPhone, allows its customers to block unwanted calls by purchasing Smart Limits. Marketed as a parental control, the monthly subscription allows owners to automatically decline specific calls. But it is not necessary for iPhone owners to purchase this package. The MCleaner app gives iPhone owners control over communication with their contacts. MCleaner can be installed and used for a free 15-day trial, purchasing the registered version activates unlimited use.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
Jailbreak your iPhone. Go to http://www.blackra1n.com and download the Blackra1n set-up file for your operating system. Run and install the application. Connect your iPhone to your computer and click the “make it ra1n” button in the program window. The iPhone will reboot.
Launch the Blackrain app and install Cydia. Run the Blackrain app by tapping the icon on your iPhone screen. In the Blackrain main screen, select Cydia and tap the install button.
Add source to Cydia. After Cydia is installed, tap the “Manage” button on the main screen and select the “Sources” section. Tap the “Edit” button on the top right screen, then tap the “Add” button that appears on the top left screen. Enter "http://www.mcleaner.com/iPhone/cydia" in the “Enter Cydia/APT URL” pop-up window and tap “Add Source.” When Cydia is done updating its Sources, tap the “Return to Cydia” button.
Install MCleaner. Tap the newly added MCleaner entry on the “Sources” menu and install the MCleaner download package. Reboot your iPhone to finish the installation process.
Block a contact. Launch the MCleaner app and tap “Blacklist” on the main screen. Tap the “+” icon in the upper right screen and select “Input Manually.” Enter the title and phone number of the contact you wish to block. Confirm to block SMS texts and/or phone calls from this contact. If necessary, program a valid period for blocking the contact. Tap “Save.”
Check log of blocked calls. When your iPhone has rejected a blocked call, a red icon will appear in the status bar at the top of the screen. To review your blocked calls, tap “My Logs” on the MCleaner main screen.
Tips and warnings
- If an iPhone owner does not want to invest in AT&T; Smart Limits for Wireless Service or install MCleaner, it is also possible to block contacts by assigning them a silent ringtone. While this would not reject calls, it would make them easier to ignore.
- Since MCleaner has not undergone Apple’s standard app approval process, it is only available on “jailbroken” iPhones. While jailbreaking may lift Apple’s restrictions on iPhone use, it can also compromise the device. Unauthorised apps could interfere with operating the iPhone, causing it to crash or get a virus. Moreover, an iPhone would most likely need to be “jailbroken” repeatedly since software updates from iTunes reverse the settings. But the most significant disadvantage to jailbreaking an iPhone is that the process voids the warranty.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for