Families can enjoy a quality dinner of prime rib prepared in a slow cooker without the fuss or the dangers of leaving the oven unattended for several hours. Prime rib is a cut of beef that you may not find in the grocery store, as restaurants claim most cuts of beef rated prime. Look for meat labelled rib roast, eye of rib roast or standing rib roast. It is the same cut of meat, just not graded prime. You can cook prime rib in the cooker by itself or add vegetables and potatoes for a one-pot meal.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Rib roast
- Oil or marinade
- Broth, stock or water
- Meat thermometer
Thaw the meat. Then, trim excess fat from the roast. You can wrap twine around the roast to make it keep a visually pleasing shape.
Apply a marinade, if you wish, following the directions of the marinade recipe. Alternatively, rub oil on the roast. Season the rib roast with salt, pepper and other spices. Flip and repeat. You can mince garlic, onion, rosemary and thyme, and smother the meat with these ingredients for a more elaborate seasoning mix.
Plug in the slow cooker, twist the dial to low and insert the roast. Add liquid to cover half the roast. You can use broth, stock or water.
Cook for six hours on low before inserting a meat thermometer. For rare roasts, the thermometer should read 60 degrees C. For well-done roasts, the temperature should be around 71.1 degrees C.
Remove the rib roast and place on a cutting board to rest for 15 minutes. Slice and serve.
Tips and warnings
- Prime rib is a tender cut of meat that needs very little seasoning.
- Avoid sticking the meat thermometer into bone or a fatty section.
- You can add potatoes, sliced onions and root vegetables to the pot at the start, but wait until the meat is three-quarters of the way cooked to add any others.
- You can use cream soups in place of part of the liquid
- The prime rib takes about three hours on high.
- Don't fill the cooker more than three-quarters full.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for